Sunday, March 14, 2010

Photography.

There's always something about certain photographs that make you hold your breath. It's a kind of ephemeral beauty, though preserved in a small 4"x 4" representation on your computer screen. I don't know, it's like they speak volumes...

And I'm not saying this in the normal standarized :"A picture speaks a thousand words". It's above words. It's on a higher elevation, the upmost mountain, something you can't really explain.
Yet here I am, being me, trying to get it down on paper (or in this case, on a blog). It's frustrating because I can't find the right example, or the right words. It could be a photograph of anything. A person's smiling face makes you realize there's more to this world than you. It sounds simple, you probably understand it, but not in the way I'm trying to convey it. There's infinite places you haven't been to, unique experiences, such beautiful, beautiful places. We learn of equations and philosophers and the brain in school, but it's things like these that make you stand in awe, that stop you from breathing a little.

It's not how pretty the photo is. It's not about how well it's composed, what kind of lighting, how beautiful the person through the lenses is. It's not about the chilly, serene landscape nor is it about the burst of sun conveyed as tiny speckles of light on film... I don't know, it's just something more. Something else. It has a voice to move you, to connect everything you've experienced, to convey this emotion/vibe/story. It has so much power sometimes, but is often overlooked in the grand scheme of things.

I can imagine that to each person, different photos have different magnitudes of meaning... Which is why I can't give an example and be like, "here, this is what the hell I'm talking about."
A lot of the photos I post are for convenience; they're picked without much thought. They sit there and are pretty, that's that. To others, they may be pieces of art, works that deeply touch them the way some photos do for me.

I know I'm being a pain in the ass by saying: "I can't describe it" constantly, but I don't know what else to say... It was like a sudden gush of realization that came crashing down, and it made me realize why people wanted to be photographers. The simpler reason may be to preserve history: to preserve a single fragment of time in a person's life or to preserve a landscape. But it's just so much more...

Ew, I sound gross.
But eh. And sorry, this photo isn't one of them.