Saturday, January 9, 2010

"It's the fabulous castle of Now.
You can walk in and wander about,
But it's so very thin,
Once you
are, then you've been
And as soon as you're in, you're out."


Pulled out Falling Up while my computer decided to restart on its own and run through a cleanup process (I know, I should get it fixed. I would if I knew how to).
Anyway, Shel's poems in Falling Up are generally directed to children (unlike those of Seuss's, which have underlying meaning and motifs) so there's not much to pull out and share.

But I guess that poem will have to do. Once you are, you've been; the present is truly fleeting.


And you can never forget The Giving Tree.
Religion? Humanity? Whatever it is, whenever I hear/read it, I feel nostalgic...

It's kind of magical in that way. In its vagueness and the restlessness of time, how nothing can be stopped. How one can work so hard, give up everything that makes them worth anything, for their offspring, just to see them live/be happy.
--



So that brought me to another topic: reading.
Lately I've been busy with college applications (more like lazying around, half-assing them on the last day) and being a first semester senior, so I haven't really gotten the chance to read.

I love the idea of curling up with a book (excuse me if I sound like a dork) so I'm going to make a list of things that need to be read/re-read.


You Remind Me of Me
The Other Boleyn Sister
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Virgin Suicides
Stardust
The Lovely Bones
Lottery
The Butterfly Garden
The Glass Castle
*The Bell Jar
The Torn Skirt


Parting with this quote from the last book on my list.
It's been very applicable to my life the past few months.

"The problem with me was that as soon as I started thinking about getting it together, I got this mad craving desire to fuck it up."




And, another image to satisfy the eyes:


I find this girl really really good looking.
Call me shallow but I like looking at her.
(Zoolander anyone?)

Effy
"Sometimes I think I was born backwards..."