Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Rich Girl Gets Her Way

Ah, the world of name brand labels, walk-in closets, racks of high-end shoes. You know what they say. Nothing is, and ever will be, fair.

I'm honestly posting on a whim, sparked by what some girl said in a public network. It didn't really make me upset. I just thought what she was doing was silly and a bit over-the-top.
Don't misunderstand, the title is simply to pinpoint one "rich girl", per se. This is not a stereotyping, sweeping, generalization.

Looking at shoes, bags, well worth over what you can afford as a seventeen/eighteen year old is just a bit absurd to me. Everyone to his own, but more like everyone to his own of one thing that all must acquire to obtain the status of some kind of "elite".

I'm going to call you out. It's not an "interest", pining and wishing for these things. I actually find it a bit unbelievable that you clip out picture perfect advertisements and purchase the shirt, jacket, boots, jeans, bracelets, earrings, scarves that the model wears. Isn't that a little boring? To be a walking advertisement?

Chatting giddily over leather bags that have a simple logo on them (and basically, little else)...does it really make you happy? It's over a thousand dollars, and you think it's great because it makes you better. Truth to be told, it makes you the same as everyone else. Aren't they all carrying around the same thing? There's nothing elitist in it. You should purchase something because you like it personally, not because it will increase your reputation, have others admire you, allow you to show off your infinite wealth, etc, etc.

I guess I'm just not a fan of cashing out and obsessing over over-hyped bags and purses. Maybe I'm not mature or sophisticated enough to view those who carry these material things with envy. I opt to shop for things I like, things I can afford, rather than set a price tag to my wardrobe and keep everything in pace with the ladies who are in their 20's and 30's.
It's mature, yet so conventional that I find it off-setting. I get turned off by people who obsess over high end fashion when they're in high school. Maybe it's the wealth, or maybe it's the vibe of unoriginality?


Then again, nothing is ever original, right?

But we're still kids. We should enjoy the liberty of experimentation before conforming to what's "best", "classy", "top-notch". Find something for ourselves, you know? It's so content-less to see someone rant about Chanel, Coach, Prada, LV. Plus, the only people who can pull off the craziest looking shit is people our age. That's a privilege that'll soon fade away with time... You can't go around wearing whatever the hell you want when you're 50. Conformity right now, just doesn't seem right to me.

Perhaps I just look down on those who aren't similar to me.


And just something random that came to my mind while doing our Lit Powerpoint:
Time is a convention constructed by man. The "hours", the "years", the "seconds" are all just units. While there is some science behind it, it is man who had the idea to split time into a countable, tangible thing.
Only a day is truly real, to most of us on the globe. We see the sun rise, and we see the sun set.

In truth, all things are cyclical... There is no "beginning", there is no "end", and therefore the popular tradition of "new year's resolution" really has no meaning. It isn't a real chance for a new slate, a fresh start, a brand new "year". You've just been built/raised/adjusted to think that way.

I don't know. It kind of made me feel silly, since I've had new years resolutions since forever.
Not that it has to stop, but really, it could've been any other day.