
Snatched this from AOL, but wanted to share/record.
Feeling a bit on the edge... AB in AP Lit (if I hadn't spent so much time on that project, I would have an A in Chemistry now...), AB in AP Chemistry, and a high chance of AB in AP Statistics. My Psych teacher is not too intelligent; it carries out in her recording of grades, so I really don't know what my final grade is.
Not to mention I still have to complete Emory and UPitt apps. I also think I did the WashU envelopes wrong, so it might be too late to change that now...
This week sucks.
Eggs are rich in protein—that's pretty much a given. Protein is said to increase both and alertness and energy, so if you feel lethargic and slow, pop an egg in your mouth. What it can do for you: a dose of Vitamin D, serotonin increase in the brain.
Whole Grains contain a lot of carbohydrates, which are said to trigger the release of insulin into the bloodstream. This shot of insulin relaxes you and soothes stress. Complex carbohydrates such as brown rice, quinoa, and oats burn more steadily than refined carbs (pasta, high-sugar snacks), and hence keep you feeling better longer.
Spinach contains a lot of folic acid, which maintains/increases serotonin levels in your brain. Eating spinach will give you this happiness-boosting nutrient. It also contains magnesium, a mineral with relaxing and calming effects.
Salmon (I love love love Salmon Sushi) contains selenium. A deficiency of this substance causes anxiety and irritability. Salmon is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, which plays an important role in brain function and is said to regulate mood and alleviate depression.
Chocolate (of course) has phenylethylamines, neurotransmitters that release endorphins in the brain. A bar of chocolate can make you feel giddy; the sweet flavor stimulates the brain's pleasure centers. Dark chocolate (another love of mine) is heart-healthy, making it the better option.
Turkey (gross) is a favorite on Thanksgiving. It has tryptophan, which can make you feel relaxed and calm. Chicken, tuna, soybeans pack the same tryptophan punch.
Berries are high in fiber, meaning that they'll give you an initial sugar buzz and help you substain it. Opt for blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries over melons and graps (fruits low in fiber, resulting in a similar crash you'd get from refined sweets).
Comfort Foods — is an explanation needed? Don't underestimate the feelings of comfort and security we get from our favorites. Indulge occasionally with ice cream and pizza, but caving in to these foods too often will result in an inevitable crash.
Ta-dah!
Time to study...
